Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Moved on to Metastasized


I have moved on, it only took three mental breakdowns, 5 months, and a whole lot of lost time from my friends. As well as the worst news I could receive. My father's rectal cancer has returned; all of a sudden my squabble with Paige and Matt seem insignificant.

I'm completely devastated, I feel very similar to the worst of my psychosis except I have a real current reason to be sad. Last time we were so hopeful when we went to the office in Mayo to see the doctor, we were so surprised when the doctors' informed us it really couldn't get much worse. Stage IV-Type 0. It was a miracle that it hadn't metastasized. It's been five years, five years of my father being in remission, five years since I was forced to help him heal; to spend every waking minute with him while he's in pain. Apparently the surgery didn't catch all of it. The found it metastasized in what they currently believe to be his peritoneum, the layer of tissue around the abdomen.

Now all I can think about is the worst. I'm only now just starting a new relationship online with a single mother I met, but now instead of making sure Katie isn't just another Kimmy, I also have to worry that my dad could be dying. I'm not sure how to give her the time we deserve.

I'm scared and I'm not sure what to do. This weekend I get to go see Celtic Women in concert, a group I've always want to see live. Yet, all I want to do right now is curl up in my apartment and forget the world exists, but I know that won't help.

I suppose all I can do is to keep breathing and moving forward.

 

~Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment